Heckling Tony Meola

USA Today did an interview with ex-New York goalie Tony Meola in which Meola gave New England fans a shout-out:

What's the most creative insult you ever heard in MLS, on the field or from the stands?
On the field, guys generally respect each other enough not to insult each other. There's trash-talking, and I never really got involved in it.
In Boston, they do the beeps (like a truck) as you're walking backwards, then they do the hiss like the brakes settling when you stop. I think that's pretty creative. They're very creative in New England and they're great fans. They're great for our league.
The D.C. fans are also great fans, but I always think one day I'm going to run into the one guy who constantly tried to spit at me, and I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen.
My thought process has been that if you pay for a ticket, you can go ahead and have fun and do whatever you want. I'm not into personal insults, and people are going to do that anyway. If somebody bought a ticket for you, if you got a comp, I think you sit there and you shut up.
If you put your money, your hard-earned money, to go see a game, you've pretty much got the right to say anything. As long as you stay on that side of the fence, I'll stay on this side of the fence and we'll see who wins at the end of the day.
Heckling Meola was great fun. He lost his starting spot in Kansas and came back to New York a little overweight, which gave New England fans the cheer "He's back, he's fat, he ate too much spaghetti!"

No comments: