I went to see the Revolution play at DC United's RFK stadium today. Highlights are below. First, some notes:
1. DC had a goal called back for offsides that was a near thing;
2. They then scored a clearly offsides goal that was allowed to stand, giving me the impression of a makeup call for a call that was probably correct anyway.
3. Taylor Twellman scored a Golazo!
4. Their winning goal started as Ben Olsen (who is one of the dirtiest players in the league but for some reason is DC United's posterchild, after Moreno) hacked at Khano Smith's ankles from behind. Smith fell, no call from the ref, and Olsen took the ball down the wing and crossed it for a goal.
5. We sat on the upper deck, across the stadium from the Barra Brava and Screaming Eagles (DC supporters clubs), and they were in fine voice - DC has the best atmosphere stadium-wide of any MLS team I've seen. The Revs' stadium is cavernous, drowning all the sound the Riders make.
The level of play has risen every year in MLS, but the level of officiating has yet to keep up.